On twitter recently (you can follow me @TeaCaroline) I've been joining in with the #craftblogclub meet up on Tuesdays between 7-8pm It's the brainchild of Emma at Life is Peachy and is a way to meet with other craft bloggers and discover new crafty blogs.
The #craftblogclub challenge for September was to cover a notebook. I love a challenge and it's refreshing to make something in response to a 'brief' as it were.
I decided I would cover my school diary. I use it a lot but it's boring and plain. All the notebooks I actually use are already pretty because I have a slight stationery addiction. I also wanted to make the cover removeable so I could reuse it again for next year's diary or for another book of the same size .
Ten minutes spent googling tutorials and I had a rough idea of what I wanted to do. Then I just went for it. I used some calico left over from this DIY tent project and I used this amazing stamp purchased from Tigerlilly Quinn - total bargain, I love this thing (thanks Fritha!).
I stamped the calico randomly with Staz On ink and left it to dry. I then searched through my fabric off cuts and came up with a neutral hued circle print scrap. In hindsight I would have made the flaps which wrap around the diary cover wider. The ones I made are perfectly functional but deeper ones would have showed off more of the print. A couple of bits of elastic and I was sorted. I sewed the layers together - leaving a small gap and then turned inside out and top stitched.
I'm chuffed with the result and my little crafting heart is thrilled with the options now opened up for me in the world of book covering! I could personalise fabric with for the recipient with stamps, or use a quote or sentiment. You don't need a lot of fabric so this would be great for using up bits and pieces.